CHUCK WAGON BREAD PUDDIN’
One of the best deserts you can serve from the back of a chuck wagon or from the outdoor dining table on your patio is bread pudding topped with a warm sweet sauce. Here is a simple recipe I got from an old Canadian outfitter many years ago. The bourbon sauce is one that I got from Texas chuck wagon master chef Bill Cauble, mighty tasty.
Dutch oven: 12-inch
- 12 leftover biscuits or a ½ loaf of Italian bread, cubed
- 1 can (12 oz.) of evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat Dutch oven
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes
- Whip eggs and combine in bowl with evaporated milk.
- Melt butter and stir into mixture along with sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and half of cinnamon.
- Place the bread into 9-inch aluminum pan.
- Pour the mixture over the bread and mix until the bread is soggy.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over mixture.
- Place into Dutch oven and bake until brown
- Serve hot with sauce topping
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup Half & Half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup bourbon or rum or amaretto, your taste
Mix ingredients in cast iron grilling sauce pan and bring to a low boil
Pour over bread pudding while hot.